Monday, August 2, 2010

Parents of coma blink patient Richard Rudd speak of emotional turmoil

The doctor leant towards his paralysed and comatose patient and asked a question that was literally a matter of life and death.
"Richard," he said calmly. "Do you want us to continue with your treatment? If you do, move your eyes to the left. If you don't, move them to the right."
After a few seconds of almost unbearable suspense, Richard Rudd's eyes shifted to the left. He could hear. He could understand. He could communicate. 
Editor: He could think . . . he could decide. The Telegraph article continues . . . 
He didn't want to die. . . . Richard's mother Christine Walker, 60, admits that she has "mixed feelings" about her son's "awakening."
"Part of me was elated, of course, that there was a sign of life. But I also felt sadness," she said. "I know I have lost the Richard I had. He will never be the same again. I have to get used to the new Richard. But he will never have much of a life and that's hard to take. I don't know how aware he is and how happy he will not be walking, talking or anything else. You wouldn't be human if you didn't wonder if he would have been better off dead." 
Editor: Mom's a human, all right. Pretty focused on herself. I hope Richard never reads this article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment