Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Life Beyond Reason

A Life Beyond Reason - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education: I agree with Rabbi Harold Kushner when he writes and talks about bad things happening to good people: August's disability does not form a part of 'God's plan' and does not serve as a tool for God to teach me or anyone else wisdom. What kind of a God would it be, anyway, to deprive my boy of speech and movement just to instruct me? A cruel and arbitrary God. August's disabilities are not a blessing; but neither are they a divine curse. To traffic in a cosmic economy of blessings and curses is to revert to an ancient prejudice. Indeed, even though August's disabilities offer ample opportunity for public interpretation, they do not mean anything at all in and of themselves—they have no intrinsic significance. They simply are what they are.

That is not to deny that August, along with my daughter and my wife, is the most amazing and wonderful thing that has ever happened to me, for he has allowed me an additional opportunity to profoundly love another human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment