Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Jersey’s New End of Life Commission: Pardon My Doubts

New Jersey’s New End of Life Commission: Pardon My Doubts » Secondhand Smoke | A First Things Blog: "The cynic in methinks this is just more bureaucratic churning to avoid actually doing anything worthwhile, or to continue the ongoing project of erecting the bureaucratic state, or both. The anti- euthanasia activist in me worries that an end of life commission will really be about saving money on the sooner deaths of the dying – either via Futile Care Theory or worse – than actually improving the treatment of dying people. And I have no doubt the doctor-prescribed-death crowd will be pushing for legalizing assisted suicide. But the optimist in me still hopes the commission will actually recommend ways to better help dying people and their families access services to help them live well."

No comments:

Post a Comment