Friday, August 7, 2009

I'm proof you should never give up on life

During Terry Waite's four long years of captivity as a hostage in Beirut, the flame of hope sometimes burned low. "Towards the end of my imprisonment, however, I was faced with my greatest trial. . . . I developed a severe lung infection. . . . My lungs were full of fluid. And what made my predicament even worse was the feeling that I was being a terrible burden to my fellow hostages, that my agonised breathing was a torment for them. I have to confess that in this bleakest moment of despair, I did think that death might be preferable to the life I was enduring. But then the power of the human spirit prevailed - and I fought back against my morbid, negative thoughts. Gradually, my health recovered - and I began the climb out of my pit of gloom. I am enormously grateful that I never gave up and surrendered to that fatal impulse." Daily Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment