Friday, May 25, 2012

Culture Making Amid Cancer: The Choices That Suffering Makes Possible

Culture Making Amid Cancer: The Choices That Suffering Makes Possible | This Is Our City | Christianity Today: "I was 27 and had just earned a master's degree in medicine from Yale, and was halfway through earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia, on my way to becoming a famous health-care reporter in Manhattan. And then I went to my doctor because something didn't seem right, and a week later I got the confirmation: I had breast cancer.

"My pastor showed up that day, while I was sitting in my surgeon's office, waiting to schedule my bilateral mastectomy. He sat with me in a silence that he occasionally punctuated with a sentence or two. 'We all think the world of you, you know,' he said. I nodded.

"A few minutes later he added, 'Cancer's a gift that God only gives to special people.' I thought, I'm not so sure."

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment