Thursday, February 2, 2012

My Trisomy 18 son is not alive because of a miracle. He is alive because we chose life for him.

LifeSiteNews: It was a great surprise to everyone when a national review of pediatric cardiac surgeries in 2004 revealed that 35 children with Trisomy 13 and 18 had obtained cardiac surgery and survived - at a rate of 91%! So much for universally “lethal” and “incompatible with life”!

The internet has allowed parents of these relatively rare conditions to network like never before. . . . Many parents who receive such a diagnosis will search online for more information. It won’t take long before they discover that there are many happy living children who have families who love to care for them.

My son, Lane, was diagnosed with Full Trisomy 18 at three days old. Prior to getting the results of the FISH test, the hospital told me that Lane’s heart condition could be repaired. However, after the results came back, the hospital then informed me that there wasn’t anything more the hospital could do for my son. So I took Lane home at nine days old on hospice, but Lane had another plan. He continued to get stronger every day, and so as his strength and fight improved…so did my fight to do anything I could to give my son the best quality of life

.

No comments:

Post a Comment